Fax Us: (818) 845-6031
Santa Clarita, CA 91355

Missing W-2 Form

  • Home
  • Missing W-2 Form

After January 31st if you want to file but have not received your Form W-2, you should contact your employer to find out if or when the Form W-2 was mailed. You may not have received your W-2 because of an incorrect or incomplete address. If so, you can provide a correct address at this time or send a self-addressed stamped envelope to the employer.

If the W-2 was returned to the employer because of an address problem or was not yet issued, after contacting the employer, allow a reasonable amount of time for the employer to mail the form to you. If you still do not receive your W-2, contact the IRS for assistance at 1-800-829-1040, but not before February 16th. An IRS representative will complete a W-2 complaint on Form 4598, Form W-2 or 1099 Not Received or Incorrect. A copy of the Form 4598 will be sent to the employer and a copy to you along with Form 4852, Substitute for a Missing Form W-2 available from the IRS website. When you call or visit an IRS walk-in office, please have the following information available:

  • Your employer’s name and complete address, including zip code, employer identification number (if known – see prior year’s W-2 if you worked for the same employer), and telephone number,
  • Your name, address, including zip code, social security number, and telephone number; and
  • An estimate of the wages you earned, the federal income tax withheld, and the period you worked for that employer. The estimate should be based on year-to-date information from your final pay stub or leave-and-earnings statement, if possible.

If you file your return and attach Form 4852 to support the withholding amount claimed instead of a Form W-2, your refund may be delayed while the information you gave us is verified.

If you receive a Form W-2 after you file your return and it does not agree with the income or withheld tax you reported on your return, file an amended return on Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.